Sunday, January 22, 2006

The New England Guy

Bill Simmons' article in ESPN magazine actually started with the words, "When my beloved Pats..." Who the hell is he kidding? He knows that only beloved teams in Boston are the Red Sox, Celtics and Bruins (in that order). The way you can tell that people actually care about those teams is that they are quick to express disgust in those teams when things go wrong. The funny thing is that I seldom hear him mention those teams. Perhaps if we were in the middle of the Larry Bird years or the Bobby Orr era, he would find time to mention the other "beloved" New England teams.

I'm sure it's been fun being a Patriots fan during this spectacular run, but "beloved"??? I don't think so. And I'm sure that 5 years ago he would have never even have conceived of mentioning those words except in jest. Did I ever mention how much I love the Chicago White Sox? I mean I know they're not in NY, but they're close enough and I just love how irreverent their manager is. They're just so, I don't know, what't the word I'm looking for...Oh that's right "Beloved".

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home