Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Pardon the Interruption

I don't really have anything of significance to write about today, so I'm just going to give myself a pat on the back for some of my earlier articles. I'll start out with the Greg Maddux - Randy Johnson article and subsequent follow ups. Maddux started out something like 5-0 with a microscopic ERA. The guys on "Around the Horn" couldn't wait to bury Johnson. They were all sure that Johnson was done and that Maddux was on the verge of another Cy Young season. Not so fast fellas. I said then that based on their recent past history that Maddux would not maintain that level of pitching. Since starting 5-0 with a 1.35 ERA, he has gone 3-11 with an ERA north or 6. I guess those guys on TV really know what they're talking about. Randy Johnson is 11-8 and has a lower ERA than Maddux despite pitching in a superior league. His ERA has been under 3.50 in his last seven starts. I hate to say I told you so, but I told you so.

Before the All-Star break all the commentators on TV were talking about how the wild card would definitely come out of the central and that the Yankees had to win the division to make the playoffs. Now that may still be true, but as we sit here today, the Yankees are exactly 1/2 game out of the wild card lead. So much for the doomsday predictions.

Also this year, the Mets have been getting a lot of press in NY about how they are supposedly the best team in NY. Well, guess what, despite playing in a weaker division and league, they are actually percentage points behind the Yankees as we start action today. I'm not necessarily saying that the Yankees are better than the Mets, but come on, look at the facts before proclaiming the end of the Yankees domination of NY baseball.

By the way, I did pick the Japanese to win the World Baseball Classic and predicted that the Yankees would pick up Sidney(I've never seen a buffet that I didn't like) Ponson, but you're just going to have to take my word for it because I didn't put it in writing. I did however put this little tidbit about the future of Terrel Owens, and thankfully that one is in writing.

Of course I predicted that the English would win the World Cup and that the Isiah Thomas would be fired before Larry Brown. Oh well, I guess I'm not infallible. That's all for now kids. Hopefully something exciting or stupid will happen in the world of sports in the next 24 hours, so I'll have something to write about. Until we meet again, I wish you a fond farewell and a hearty, hi ho Silver, Away!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home